Search This Blog

January 26, 2011

An Interview with Michelle, Creator of Designer Napkin Cuffs


I am happy to introduce you to a very special lady, who is both an exemplary bride to her husband of over 17 years and the designer and creator of luxurious and elegant napkin rings for weddings and formal dinners. She iMichele Nicholson, the designer behind Haute Interiors, LLC. In this interview, she tells about how she met and fell in love with her husband, and she gives some valuable advice about keeping the marriage covenant and honoring God's commands for marriage. She also tells us about her new line of wedding products, Designer Napkin Cuffs, available on Etsy.

Tell us about you and your husband, and the story of how you met and fell in love.
    I had always desired to get married when growing up.  But, when I stopped looking for that perfect man for me, that is when he was provided. (I learned a valuable lesson there.) 


    One day, out of the blue, an older friend of mine asked me if I wanted to be married. I looked at her strangely and replied, “One day”. Then she disappeared. I thought no more of it. 



    A year later, she had arranged a volleyball get-together at her home for me to meet the young man she thought was perfect for me. Little did I know at the time, it had taken her that long for him to even show up! She did not give up working behind the scenes. He did not believe in these blind date things. Good thing I didn’t know what was going on! No one else at the party knew what was going on, so there was little pressure. His maturity is what struck me. He was not loud like the other guys at the party. He didn’t slam a volleyball at my head, like another guy. He was laid-back, and went with the flow. I liked that. And, it sure didn’t hurt that he looked good, too! 


    After the party, my friend Kim asked what I thought of him, and if it was ok if she gave him my telephone number. I said okay. But, she had already given it to him.  He called the next weekend, and the rest is history. . .


    How have you and your husband grown closer to each other and to the Lord over the years?
      We have grown closer by being best friends to each other. Also, by keeping God in our marriage, we have the Most High to account to. So, we know the marriage vow is precious in God’s sight, so we must keep working to keep that marriage bond strong despite outside influences. 


      I found out about year ten [of our marriage], that I could not put things on cruise control. I thought if I had been married that long, I was okay. No, it did not work that way.  Marriage is always something you have to work at no matter how long you have been married. Our anniversary will be 18 years this summer, and I am still working on my marriage.

      What single piece of advice would you give to a new bride about honoring God and her husband in her marriage?
        Follow the Bible’s advice about keeping the marriage bed honorable. Marriage is not disposable. View it as a life-long commitment.

        Love your husband only and treat him as special. Show him respect. Do not give improper attention to those of the opposite sex. Sorry, that was more than one. Couldn’t help it!

        Now, tell us about your Designer Napkin Cuffs and what makes them special.


          My Designer Napkin Cuffs are hand-crafted by me in my smoke and pet-free workshop. I sell them online in my Etsy boutique, and in craft fairs and shows. I craft them using decorator, designer, vintage fabrics and repurposed materials like leather and cashmere. I beautifully accent them with rhinestones, fabric flowers, feathers and woodland accents. I even offer Designer Cuffs for weddings, parties, and special events. Custom orders are happily accepted.







          What inspires you in your creative process?



            Textures, patterns, fabrics. . . It seems I am always on the lookout for materials that catch my eye. I am always trying to figure out how I can use them to craft a pair of cuffs. My mind rarely rests. Even at night, I am putting together combinations in my head. I have to keep a notepad and pencil on my nightstand to write things down when I have a brainstorm in the middle of the night!
            What is the Bible verse or principle you live and work by?


              My favorite scripture Isaiah 48:17, 18 – “This is what Jehovah has said, your Repurchaser, the Holy One of Israel:  'I, Jehovah, am your God, the One teaching you to benefit yourself, the One causing you to tread in the way in which you should walk.  O if only you would actually pay attention to my commandments!  Then your peace would become just like a river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea.'”


              I love these two verses, because it’s like God is pleading with us, just to listen to Him, obey Him, and look how our life will be: peaceful. This is how I like my home to be: a peaceful haven. When my husband comes home at the end of the workday, I want him to feel relaxed, at peace, away from all the stresses.  And, this happens when I apply what I have learned from the Bible to my life.  

              -Michele.








              Thank you, Michele! You have a beautiful testimony of the sanctifying, sweetening graces of the Gospel of Christ in your marriage as well as in what you create for the marriage celebrations of many others. We hope to have more contributions from you for our readers in the future!
              —The Christian Bride Resource

              No comments:

              Post a Comment